top of page
zeiss.png

HISTORY

Oscar Miller is a Bavarian entrepreneur who ordered a planetarium from Zeiss for his Deutsches Museum around 1913. After the First World War, research resumed and it was in 1923 that a first model made trips back and forth between the Jena factory and Munich (see: "The Beginning")

2 copies of model 1 will be developped and 25 copies of the model II before the WWII.

After WWII, Zeiss was divided into two independent parts (each offering Zeiss projectors):

- Jena in East Germany (GDR), 1948

- Oberkochen in West Germany (FRG), 1946.

During the great reunification of Germany (1990-1993), the two companies merged again.

More

​- Glenn A. Walsh, Friends of the Zeiss, online, 2002-2008

- Zeiss Group, Zeiss Planetariums history, online

- Peter Volz, "Tracing paths of history, part 1", Planetarian, Dec. 2013, Vol. 42, No 4, p.50

- Peter Volz, "Tracing paths of history, part II", Planetarian, Mar. 2014, Vol. 43, No 1, p.26

- Wikipedia, Zeiss Projectors, online

- Wikipedia, Zeiss, online

bottom of page